Around the Water Cooler

So. Because my co-workers seem to be stuck on food and weight as a topic of conversation, I have come up with a list of 33 Other Topics to discuss. May the gossip begin.

  1. Where’s the cheapest gas around here?
  2. Are you a morning person or a night person?
  3. Who was your first crush?
  4. What TV shows are you hooked on?
  5. What was the last novel you read?
  6. What was your most awful class in high school/college?
  7. Severus Snape- friend or foe?
  8. Dumbledore- alive or dead?
  9. Is global warning a true phenomenon?
  10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
  11. What is your favorite band?
  12. Toilet paper- over the top of the roll or behind it?
  13. What is your dream car?
  14. Do you believe in love at first sight?
  15. What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?
  16. Baths or showers?
  17. So how ’bout them Yankees?
  18. What’s your favorite season?
  19. What celebrity would you want to make out with?
  20. Is bird flu all hype?
  21. Was there a second gunman on the grassy knoll?
  22. What’s your favorite shampoo or bath product?
  23. What was your most embarrassing moment?
  24. Have you ever had a crush on a teacher or professor?
  25. Would you vote for a female president?
  26. What movie has stayed with you long after the credits rolled?
  27. If you could go back in history and change something, would you?
  28. Lake, ocean or pool?
  29. Should women be drafted into the military?
  30. What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?
  31. Boxers or briefs?
  32. Do you sudoku?
  33. What's your favorite quote?

I also want to add: name 5 reasons why dieting sucks, but I figured that might spur on the food/weight talk, so I'll omit it. For now.

Diet talk is so...surface. Not shallow, necessarily, because there are HUGE self-esteem issues involved in basically hating the way you look enough to systematically deny yourself food. But even just coming up with this list made me realize how much of this "Big Fat Loser" contest has made me lose out (har dee har har har) on getting to know my co-workers. Most of them are nice, interesting people. Once they get their noses out of the Weight Watchers Points book, that is. And that's really sad. Really sad. I don't care about their thighs.

The son of one of the nurses where I work was recently paralyzed in an accident at work. You have to ask yourself: do you think he cares about the size of his thighs? He just wants them to function. At the end of the day, does any of this really matter?

posted under , , |

2 comments:

mary said...

Well, Carrie, did they bite? Learn anything new about your hungry co-workers?

I love the movie Chocolate and it stuck with me long afterwards. It truly relates to the inner struggle one faces when they deprive themselves in the name of goodness, and also relates to tolerance for those who are different.
Any movies stuck with you Carrie?

samsi77 said...

I find it interesting how almost all of the topics listed are ones that I have engaged in discussion with my co-workers about at one time or another. I feel fortunate to have co-workers that are interested in the more stimulating discussions that allow us to learn something about each other aside from our weight, shape and appearance. I think that the topics you listed Carrie are great for any type of interactions.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments