Now that I'm back from NEDA and reasonably caught up on sleep, I can post the highlights- the good and the bad.
First, the not-so-good:
- On Wednesday night, getting a voice recorded message that the Super Shuttle was going to be arriving at 5:45 am, rather than 6:15 as planned.
- Waking up at 5 am Thursday morning.
- The hotel only served Starbucks coffee at meals. I have no issues with most things Starbucks, but their coffee is nasty. It dissolves my stomach. Seriously.
- Waking up early each day.
- Have I mentioned I'm not a morning person?
- Saying good-bye to all of the nice people on Saturday night.
- Leaving my mom at the airport in Detroit.
Now, onto the good!
- Hearing "Hey, gold fork lady!" on the plane from Dallas to Austin and seeing Cindy Bulik across the aisle from me.
- Meeting my mom at the Detroit airport.
- Spending Thursday dinner shootin' the shit with Walt Kaye, and later telling him that he's my homeboy. It earned a chuckle.
- Seeing Laura (again), Jenni Schaefer (again), Stephanie (again), and some other friends
- Meeting all of the wonderful people at FEAST, and Jane from Maudsley Parents
- Authentic Texas BBQ ribs whose meat fell off the freaking bone
- Learning that Laura has a thing for cowboys ;) and mechanical bulls
- Having the Kartini Clinic buy me and my mom some coffee (not Starbucks) at a meet n' greet
- Chatting it up with the wonderful team from UCSD, including Christi, Roxy, and Katie.
- Giving Aria a hug as soon as I got in the door, and her letting me. For once.
- Using the laser pointer giveaway to play "laser tag" with my cat when I got home. Hoo boy! I need to video this sometime...
I did not obtain any accent, large belt buckles or hats, however. Maybe next time.