Lettuce is my Kryptonite

So many people, especially those on a diet, say things like "Chocolate is my Kryptonite." Or cheesecake. Or fries. Or ice cream. Regardless, they consider one food to be the end of their diets. "If I eat this," they say, "My diet is over." They say they will binge until they can't stand it. A slice of cheesecake? A bowl of ice cream? "I just can't resist."

I'm not here to say they should resist. It's the fact that thinking they will eat the whole carton of ice cream, the bag of chips, that really sets them up for a binge. That and the deprivation of being on a diet.

Of course, chocolate isn't really Kryptonite. For those of us not on diets, or those of us who have less of a sweet tooth, it's more take-it-or-leave-it. I don't necessarily turn down milk chocolate, but I prefer dark. And the darker, the better. Because I know I can eat chocolate whenever I want, I have no need to eat crappy chocolate just because it's there. I'll wait and have the good stuff.

But I'm not exactly immune to the powers of Kryptonite. Not at all. It's just that my Kryptonite is different.

My Kryptonite is lettuce with no dressing. Disgusting amounts of black coffee with even more disgusting amounts of artificial sweetener. Fat free cottage cheese. Skipping meals. Baggy pants. Saying "I'm full" or "I already ate" when I darn will didn't.

For me, those things set of a series of events that is quite likely to lead to relapse. I don't want to set myself up for failure by saying "If I do such-and-such, it's all over with." But I also know that I'm walking on thin ice. And it would be stupid for me to think that I can idly play with Kryptonite.

For me, it's just not worth it.

posted under , , |

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is really well-put. and so, so true.

samsi77 said...

I appreciate the analogy! Very congruent with the anti-diet approach! I wish that I were as resourceful as you with the graphics so that I could find the anti sign and put lettuce within it!

Carrie Arnold said...

They have Photoshop at work- I just might be able to put something together. Don't tempt me, though- I have too much to do as it is! :)

I've been cooking all day to have my meals for this week ready to go. Ugh.

Summer Jen said...

Wow, I was really surprised to read this post after seeing many blogs where people are relapsing, you said something that sounded so "normal"... i didn't expect it. It really made me think too because of where I'm at. what is my kryptonite? Probably my 3rd litre of water.

Anonymous said...

Amazingly well said Carrie.

:)

Your blog is really a big help to us all I think :)

A:)

Carrie Arnold said...

Awww, I'm touched.

Still trying to work on the anti-lettuce sign. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Carrie Arnold said...

I should also add that this is the first place where my sanity (however dubious) has been noticed and complimented.

Or even apparent.

samsi77 said...

When you get a chance check out the cute furry friend pictures that I sent you via email; not sure if you still use that address.

Anonymous said...

Here's a site that might help you generate some signs.
http://www.imagechef.com/ic/product.jsp?cat=signs
I'm sure you could come up with something nicer if you worked with photoshop, but if you want a quick "No Lettuce" or "Beward of Lettuce" or "DANGER: Letuce" or stop sign with "Lettuce" Imagechef will do the job.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post - I love it. I found your blog a couple weeks ago and you're so insightful and articulate!!

Carrie Arnold said...

Okay, you guys keep making me feel all warm and squishy inside.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments