Test Your Nutrition IQ!

I was sitting in the waiting room of my therapist's office, paging through a recent newspaper when I was (mysteriously) attracted by an article that said "Test your nutrition IQ!" I read on and learned that this was a quiz about weight loss.

Think about it.

You're basically supposed to eat in order to...lose weight. That's all that "nutrition" means anymore. Recipes for kids have calories and fat grams at the bottom. That bugs me. I'm all for the consumption of fruits and veggies by anyone. But it's a matter of why. Since when do healthy, growing kids need to be focused on their weight?

Here's the supreme irony- the more Americans diet, the fatter they get. Maybe it's not that it's getting harder and harder to lose weight (though I did get a chuckle at the Jenny Craig ad that followed a McDonald's ad), but that diets aren't the solution. My co-worker (one of the members of the Weight Watchers at Work club) swore off chocolate a month or two ago. Not more than a day later, I found her sneaking a bite out of the communal jar of Hershey's kisses. I have long since learned better than to swear off chocolate. It's ludicrous. I also find it hilarious that while most Americans are buying low-fat food as part of their New Year's resolutions, I'm stocking up on premium ice cream and candy bars in order to recover from my eating disorder.

That being said, my favorite food irony is on the jar of my peanut butter. Warning: may contain peanuts. Which naturally poses the question- what if it doesn't?

posted under , |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments