Sunday Smörgåsbord

It's once again time for your weekly Sunday Smorgasbord, where I trawl the web for the latest in ED-related news, research, and more, so you don't have to.

{{Sorry this is a little late--I had a lot of work to do yesterday and didn't have time to finish everything.}}

Could “fat stigma” increase the prevalence of eating disorders?

Taking Measure of Weight-Loss Plans, and the Studies of Them.

Shop For A Psychotherapist To Avoid The Lemons.

It’s Not Just Teen Girls: What to Know About Your Adult Partner with an Eating Disorder.

ADHD in adults may become easier to diagnose.

Parents Outraged Over Shape-Ups for Kids: Shoes designed to tone your legs and backside are now made for young girls.

Smart NYTimes story about how deceptive food-label health claims can be.

Electronic Patient Records used to help Identify Biological Causality in Psychiatric Illnesses.

(Not) Eating at Harvard.

Participate in an online research study: Eating Behavior, Perceptions & Attitudes In Adult Women.

Measuring state trait properties of detail processing and global integration ability in eating disorders.

Global and specific brain changes in anorexia that affect disease onset and course.

An experimental exploration of behavioral and cognitive-emotional aspects of intolerance of uncertainty in eating disorder patients.

People with bulimia have highest rates of novelty-seeking in psychiatric disorders; anorexia has highest rates of persistence.

Muscularity versus leanness: An examination of body ideals and predictors of disordered eating in heterosexual and gay college students.

Marital functioning and binge eating disorder in married women.

One of my readers recommended this iPhone app that she said was very helpful in meal planning in recovery: MiMeals Meal Planning App. I don't have an iPhone and thus haven't checked it out, but I'm sharing in case it might be useful. I do my meal planning on scrap paper and old receipts, for the record. :)
Neural response to angry and disgusted facial expressions in bulimia nervosa.

posted under |

2 comments:

Katie said...

About the study into straight and gay college aged men: where's their backing for the idea that body fat dissatisfaction is a risk factor? Might it not be a result OF eating disordered behaviours that had developed for other reasons? I would like to see studies on gay women as well...eating disorders are a big problem in the LGBT community, who face such a lot of stress through bullying and discrimination.

I like the article on fallacious health claims by food companies. I wish more people understood that most of those claims are manipulative marketing tools rather than being based on hard science.

Ilke said...

Just found your blog, I am glad you are sharing your journey as I do wish somebody shared with me when I was trying to recover. Instead, there were a lot of silent moments because nobody knew how to talk to me and a lot of doctors were sent my way, creating a defense mechanism.
Once I recovered, I tried to go to some AN forums to share what I have gone through and called "betrayer" by anorexic girls because I started eating! Hope you reach out to many...

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments