Help the Academy for Eating Disorders Scholarship Fund!

Most of you probably know that I'm a huge advocate for better research on eating disorders. This research, however, takes money- something that is never in large supply even when the economy isn't reeking like a foul outhouse on an August afternoon. Furthermore, clinicians need to learn about this research if patient treatment is to be improved

However, the Academy for Eating Disorders has a scholarship fund to help clinicians attend their annual conference. This year, it's in Cancun, baby! So help an overworked clinician learn the latest on eating disorders in the freaking tropics. Read the text here, sent to me by Cindy Bulik:

Around the world, many people with eating disorders struggle to find the treatment they so much need and deserve. One important reason for this is a shortage of trained, informed clinicians to provide that treatment.

You can help by sending a donation (however big or small) to the AED Clinician Scholarship Fund.

Each year the AED hosts a conference which provides a wonderful mix of up-to-date research perspectives, best-practice treatment options and access to many of the best minds working in the field today. Making it possible for clinicians from other countries and under-represented roups to get to this conference is a practical and cost-effective way to increase the chances that people with eating disorders will be able to find effective treatment.

Your donation will help make it possible for clinicians such as Sebastian Soneira to gain the skills and information they need to provide caring and professional treatment for people with eating disorders. For information:
http://www.aedweb.org/donation/donate.cfm

Sebastian writes:

This year I had the wonderful news that the AED had granted me the Clinician Scholarship. For me it was a unique experience since it was the first time I attend to a congress outside Argentina and it wouldn’t have been possible without the scholarship help.
I enjoyed every hour of the conference since I had the chance to know face to face many experts and to exchange experiences with other colleagues from around the world. Additionally, I was accepted as a member of the advocacy committee and I joined two special interests groups.


Back in Argentina I organized a special session at the center to share the experience and knowledge I acquired with my colleagues. I’m in touch with many people I met at the conference and I guess this is one of the great benefits of belonging to an organization with world wide members such as the AED. It its highly motivating and inspiring to receive such an award and I guess this kind of things are the ones that assure you that you are on the right path and justify the efforts made to pursuit professional excellence.

Many Thanks!

Sebastian Soneira, MD
Buenos Aires--Argentina

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments