I'll have a PB and snark sandwich, please

The Salmonella outbreak has been formally tied to a single plant producing peanut butter paste- more information can be found from the FDA and the CDC. No jars of peanut butter are effected, which is a good thing since I eat so much of the stuff! However, a wide variety of products potentially containing the peanut butter paste have been recalled.

The public health blog Effect Measure noted that NutriSystem diet bars had been affected by the recall, and had this to say about it:

"Meanwhile FDA is saying the Peanut Corporation of America's Blakely, Georgia processing plant is the source of the problem. Besides the pet food the plant makes cookies, crackers and ice cream, 125 products in all. The bug was found in unopened containers seeming to rule out post processing contamination. FDA expects more recalls. The latest is peanut butter granola bar in the NutriSystem product line. Salmonella infection would seem to be a pretty good way to lose weight, but I guess the company wants to earn its money the old fashioned way: by scamming you with advertising with the tiny letters at the bottom of the screen that say, 'results not typical.' "

Really? I couldn't have said it better myself.

posted under , , |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments