On letting go

I was browsing through an old ED support forum I used to visit regularly (Something Fishy), and I found this quote posted in one of the forums. It is so beautiful, I have to share it.

She let go.

She let go. Without a thought or a word, she let go.

She let go of the fear. She let go of the judgments. She let go of the confluence of opinions swarming around her head. She let go of the committee of indecision within her. She let go of all the 'right' reasons. Wholly and completely, without hesitation or worry, she just let go.

She didn't ask anyone for advice. She didn't read a book on how to let go. She didn't search the scriptures. She just let go. She let go of all of the memories that held her back. She let go of all of the anxiety that kept her from moving forward. She let go of the planning and all of the calculations about how to do it just right.

She didn't promise to let go. She didn't journal about it. She didn't write the projected date in her Day-Timer. She made no public announcement and put no ad in the paper. She didn't check the weather report or read her daily horoscope. She just let go.

She didn't analyze whether she should let go. She didn't call her friends to discuss the matter. She didn't do a five-step Spiritual Mind Treatment. She didn't call the prayer line. She didn't utter one word. She just let go.

No one was around when it happened. There was no applause or congratulations. No one thanked her or praised her. No one noticed a thing. Like a leaf falling from a tree, she just let go.

There was no effort. There was no struggle. It wasn't good and it wasn't bad. It was what it was, and it is just that.

In the space of letting go, she let it all be. A small smile came over her face. A light breeze blew through her. And the sun and the moon shone forevermore.

- Ernest Holmes

posted under |

11 comments:

mary said...

I really like this Carrie! I copied it and saved it for it's relevance in many aspects of life...we all have stuff we need to let go of, even me.
thanks for sharing it.

Hope said...

So, so beautiful and moving!

Yes, we all have things we need to let go.

Sending hugs and love!!

aufderheide said...

I love that, thanks for posting it. True that often the big revelations are quiet ones.

Carrie Arnold said...

That thought really resonated with me, too, in part because it doesn't have to be this big deal. You just...let go.

What I talked about with my old T is detatching myself from the outcome of something. I don't think I'll ever stop being a hard worker, trying absurdly hard, etc. But I need to work on not being so attached to the outcome (the grade, the weight, etc).

The last part is the best: the world just went on.

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. :)

Faith said...

I was actually thinking about this concept the other day - what if I just stopped? Stopped the bulimia. Stopped the binging. Stopped. What would happen?

I love this. Thank you again Carrie.

xo
Faith

Faith said...

Oh yeah. Obviously I don't have an answer yet and as always - easier said than done but there is definitely a place inside me that I don't think it is wholly impossible. Hope!

xo
Faith

kate said...

I love this. Thanks for sharing.

emxx

kate said...

ps when i stopped abusing laxatives it was like this... i just LET GO and life went on...

Mary said...

That is awesome, thank you for sharing.

samsi77 said...

I love this quote, I printed it out to share with my group too. The part that I found touching and realistic too is how "letting go" although not as easy as said is something that is a process and yet seems to happen when the time, place and situation is right. Something that no matter how much you try to make it happen, set out for it to occur just seems to happen.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments