Sunday Smorgasbord

It's once again time for your weekly Sunday Smorgasbord, where I trawl the web for the latest in ED-related news, research, and more, so you don't have to.

{{Sorry it's late. Usually the melatonin I take starts to work gently, but I was totally out by 10:30pm last night.}}

Study suggests that obsessive beliefs and cognitive (in)flexibility are related.

The Food Addiction debate: NIDA Director says YES, food can be addictive and do harm. I have mixed thoughts on the subject myself.

Are Eating Disorders Heritable? The role of genetics and personality traits in the development of eating disorders.

Nutrition agnosticism. By one of my favorite thinkers and all-around great person Michelle, the Fat Nutritionist.

Is autism over-diagnosed? Writer Amy Harmon tries to capture the debate over whether 1 in 88 are truly affected.

Thinking about eating food activates neural circuits that may underlie cognitive biases towards food stimuli and ruminations about controlling food intake in anorexia.

NPR segment on early puberty followed by Cindy Bulik discussing the pitfalls of putting your child on a diet a la Vogue article.

Check out "It's time to talk about it: The Brain and Eating Disorders" panel discussion at Stanford University.

Dieting around the time a baby is conceived raises risk of the child becoming obese or getting diabetes, says study.

Anorexia nervosa, autoimmunity and the hygiene hypothesis. It's a fascinating idea...I have no idea whether it's right, but it raises some very interesting questions.

Recent demonstration of altered serotonin binding associated with bulimia.

Neural responses to emotional faces in women recovered from anorexia nervosa.

Great article about the overlap between obesity & eating disorders, and their shared risk factors.

A review of the definitions of outcome used in the treatment of bulimia nervosa.

Adult onset eating disorders on the rise. I don't know about you, but the banner ad when I read the article was for bariatric surgery. Well played, Balanced Living, well played.

Loss Of Appetite Deciphered In Brain Cell Circuit: Therapeutic Targets Also Discovered For Potential Treatments For Eating Disorders.

The Obesity-Eating Disorder Paradox.

Role of ghrelin in the pathophysiology of eating disorders: implications for pharmacotherapy.

Expert carer coaches – new research reveals a spark in the ED darkness.

Anorexia continues to have a negative impact on quality of life even after resolution of symptoms.

Cognitive remediation therapy for children and adolescents with eating disorders resource pack.

How do we know a treatment really works? How reliable is the evidence? Read free e-book "Testing Treatments".

Coherence and other autistic spectrum traits and eating disorders: Building from mechanism to treatment.

posted under |

2 comments:

The Dandelion Girl said...

I always love these roundups... but this time, something (unrelated to you) bothers me... In May 2011, I was blogging for Recovering Inspirings and wrote a piece incredibly similar in content to The Obesity-Eating Disorder Paradox... Incredibly similar (not in style, but in content)... and you know what's even more odd? I called my piece The Obesity/Emaciation Connection. (http://recoveringinspirings.blogspot.com/2011/05/obesityemaciation-connection.html)

DonnaS said...

Thank you for all this great information! I use to suffer from anorexia. One site that really helped me overcome my anorexia is http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-eda. I hope this is helpful for those suffering from anorexia looking to treat it.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments