Pre-order your copy of Decoding Anorexia!

That's right, kids. My book is officially available for pre-order on Amazon.

Decoding Anorexia: How Breakthroughs in Science Offer Hope for Eating Disorders

{{There's a hardcover version that's freakishly expensive, and there's supposed to be an ebook version as well, but I don't think you can "pre-order" that. No price info on the e-book yet.}}

Back-of-the-book description:

Decoding Anorexia is the first and only book to explain anorexia nervosa from a biological point of view. Its clear, user-friendly descriptions of the genetics and neuroscience behind the disorder is paired with first person descriptions and personal narratives of what biological differences mean to sufferers. Author Carrie Arnold, a trained scientist, science writer, and past sufferer of anorexia, speaks with clinicians, researchers, parents, other family members, and sufferers about the factors that make one vulnerable to anorexia, the neurochemistry behind the call of starvation, and why it’s so hard to leave anorexia behind. She also addresses:

• How environment is still important and influences behaviors
• The characteristics of people at high risk for developing anorexia nervosa
• Why anorexics find starvation “rewarding”
• Why denial is such a salient feature, and how sufferers can overcome it


Carrie also includes interviews with key figures in the field that explains their work and how it contributes to our understanding of anorexia. Long thought to be a psychosocial disease of fickle teens, this book alters the way anorexia is understood and treated and gives patients, their doctors, and their family members hope.

posted under |

7 comments:

Laura said...

pre-ordered! My dissertation is on how patients with ED can use bio-education of the disorder to recover (kinda - I'm working on my elevator speech to explain my dissertation still), so I look forward to reading!

hm said...

Yum. Can't wait to eat this one up.

Laura said...

Expected delivery date is October?! I can't wait that long!

Unknown said...

Congratulations. :) I'm very excited for you! Looks interesting, and I might be a customer.

Abby said...

Congrats, my friend! There's nothing quite like holding all your hard work on your hands and then seeing it available for others to read and enjoy. You've worked so hard. I hope you're letting yourself enjoy "now." ;)

NS said...

Done! and looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

The book sounds fantastic all around. Congratulations and best wishes!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments