Sunday Smorgasbord

It's once again time for your weekly Sunday Smorgasbord, where I trawl the web for the latest in ED-related news, research, and more, so you don't have to.

{{Since I didn't do a smorgasbord last week, I have heaps of links, so I'm going to break this up into two days. The second half will be posted tomorrow.}}

Females who report alcohol probs and/or binge drinking are more likely to report recent eating disorder symptoms.

Eating Disorders Can Last Well Beyond Teen Years.

10 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Eating Disorder Sufferer.

Fighting Anorexia - Eating IS medicine.

Disordered eating is equally prevalent in whites, blacks, and Latinos.

Women with celiac disease are more likely to report symptoms of depression and disordered eating, says study.

Childhood hypersensitivity linked to OCD.

Olfaction in child and adolescent anorexia nervosa.


The futility of diets, whether or not you call them New Year's Resolutions.

The best TED talks of 2011.

The sociocommunicative deficit subgroup in anorexia nervosa: autism spectrum disorders and neurocognition in a community-based, longitudinal study.


On the "Demon" Fat, and Why We All Need to Make Peace with It.

Association between co-twin sex and eating disorders in opposite sex twin pairs: Evaluations in North American, Norwegian, and Swedish samples.


Link Between Opioid Abuse and Mood and Anxiety Disorders.

Self-imposed standards are central to perfectionism in eating disorders.


Depressive mood, eating disorder symptoms, and perfectionism in female college students: a mediation analysis.


Habit Formation Is Enabled By Gateway To Brain Cells.

Ideal Body Weight: What Does it Mean?

When Body Betrays: Infertility & Body Image.

posted under |

5 comments:

Extra Long Tail said...

Thanks Carrie! :)

I've just read through the whole paper investigating autism and autistic characteristics in the 50 individuals with a history of anorexia nervosa (AN) in Sweden. Interesting stuff. The sentence in the Discussion section regarding the AN + ASD group "They were ambitious and 'perfect' little girls, while at the same time they were described
as being stubborn with inexplicable outbursts" reminds me of the book that I have always disliked by Levenkron ("The Best Little Girl in the World"). Nevertheless, I do think that the research in this paper is sound.

I also found the article about OCD and child hypersensitivity interesting.

As for "10 things you shouldn't say to an ED sufferer"... I think this matter is subjective. People are individuals and not everyone with an ED thinks in the same way. For example, there are some things on that list that I would have found 'triggering' while anorexic, but the idea that ALL people with EDs 'compete' against one-another is incorrect. From a personal perspective, I have never compared myself to other's with AN. In fact, seeing someone with AN thinner than me was actually a great relief - because I was embarrassed about my thinness and hated it.

Unknown said...

You've started the new year with another of your always wonderful posts - wishing you a very, very good New Year, Carrie!

Extra Long Tail said...

Ooh yes! Happy New Year Carrie - to Aria as well as you!

xx

Jennifer said...

Carrie, thank you so much for the link to the paper taking a look at autism spectrum disorder and ED. I firmly believe these are related and am glad to know research is continuing in this area.

Thank you so much for the work you do to bring important information to the fingertips of those of us who follow your blog (and pass along the information you post). Opens so many possibilities and, as well, helps me at least keep my mind open to the idea of thinking outside of the box.

Happy New Year to you!

The Dandelion Girl said...

While I do agree with Extra Long Tail that I find it more triggering when I'm the thinnest in the room than when I'm not == I still enjoyed Jess's Post regarding 10 things you shouldn't say... as I think it's very important for people to be conscious of what the effects of their words might be. For people to think before they speak...

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments