Sunday Smorgasbord

Another Sunday, another smorgasbord. I trawl the web for ED-related news, research, and other happenings so you don't have to.

Have something you'd like to see in a smorgasbord? Email me at carrie [at] edbites [dot] com

On the other side of anorexia

Coping with denial in eating disorders

Adolescent inpatient psychiatric admission rates and subsequent one-year mortality in England: 1998-2004.

Three Ways to Snap Out of The Comparison Trap

It's National Body Image & Eating Disorders Awareness Week in Australia- help create awareness

The "Just do it!" Trap: why telling people to change is missing the point

America's $88 billion anti-ageing industry: dangerous and with no scientific backing

Personality disorders in adolescent patients with anorexia and bulimia nervosa

City’s Efforts Fail to Dent Child Obesity

The Professor is the Guinea Pig. He aims to dispel diet myths with calorie-controlled junk food diet.

Five-year outcome of cognitive behavioral therapy and exposure with response prevention for bulimia nervosa

Brain Imaging Shows Brain Changes in Depression

The BEDA 2011 conference speakers were finalized, and you can read more here.

Depression: Is Critical Thinking Part of the Cure?

Measuring perceived mutuality in women with eating disorders: the development of the connection-disconnection scale.

posted under |

5 comments:

Julianne said...

Hi, is there any chance these links can be made without Facebook being included in the URLs? I read your blog using my work PC and Facebook is blocked, so I can never get to check out any of your smorgasbord! Thanks!

Carrie Arnold said...

Julianne,

Yes, they can. I apologize. It was a moment of laziness for me. I will go back later today and try and fix what I can.

Fellow OCD Sufferer said...

Thanks for another interesting collection of articles on ED and ED-related topics! I especially like the Scientific American Mind article on the entertainment psychology/advice provided by the likes of Dr. Phil and Dr. Laura. I also love the article on the professor aiming to challenge the misconception that certain foods are "bad" and cause weight gain regardless of how much or how frequently they are eaten.

Anonymous said...

On the childhood obesity... I could bitch about a lot of things, including just how did they do the determination? BMI, most likely, and isn't it inappropriate for kids?
Aside from that, it makes me want to SCREAAAAAAM every time I see some well-meaning child nutritionist saying that "we'll just give the kids skim milk instead of whole", thinking that MILK, for God's sake, is the problem. Setting aside the question of whether the obesity numbers are real, whether intervention is needed etc. , for some poor children whole milk is the most nutritious food they could get. Young kids NEED fat, and besides, really.... just how much of their daily beverage intake is likely to be milk? Very little, I'd wager.
Just a pet peeve, but thanks for all the great stories. I have a whole list of people to whom I'll send the article about brain changes in depression, in an effort to teach them that, yes, depression really IS in the brain and no, I can't just "cheer up".

Womens Health in North Carolina said...

Hi, is there any chance these links can be made without Facebook being included in the URLs? I read your blog using my work PC and Facebook is blocked, so I can never get to check out any of your smorgasbord! Thanks!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments