Reinforcement of self-expectations

There are many reasons why I blog, but an email from a family friend really captured much of why I have found blogging so rewarding. We connected via LinkedIn and he found my blog website on my profile. He kindly sent me the following email:

Keep giving and you will benefit from the giver's gain in all ways, as you are surely already aware. Speaking loudly and clearly in testimony reinforces your own behaviors and self expectations. Notice how the Mormons send all their youth out into the world clad in white-shirt-tie mounted on bike back? I suspect it’s not so much a function of “convert the word”, as it that aforementioned reinforcement of self expectations.


This blog has helped me self-identify as a person in recovery, as an actual writer, as someone who has something to give to this world. It's very different than thinking of myself as Carrie the Weight Loss Wonder Goddess. It's something that means something to me and to others. It's not unimportant for me to be able to use my writings and my experiences to help people, but that alone doesn't keep me blogging. Knowing that I can't help people if I relapse is very helpful, however.

Nonetheless, this blog has been a tremendous reinforcement of my own recovery.

posted under , |

3 comments:

Cat said...

I completely agree. I would be lost without writing to work through my feelings. And blogging somehow makes everything I am going through more relevant. I feel so much less alone. Thank you for your blog, it really is lovely, fresh, honest, and inspirational.

James Clayton said...

Totally agree as well. Whether you call it 'giver's gain' or self-affirmation or something else, blogging and engaging with recovery and your issues helps you find support from the wider world and firms your own resolve.

Keep on writing Carrie. You're an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie - Your blog has quickly become meaningful to me - full of insight I had forgotten. Having found it only recently, I've enjoyed reading past blogs and look forward to every new one. Thank you for giving of your time, talent, and wisdom. I'm glad to know it helps your recovery, too.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments