More on culture

Oh, sometimes I outdo myself, kids.

I was browsing some of the newsfeeds when I found this gem from Canada:

Fat Phobia Feeds Kids' Eating Disorders

The article basically says what the headline implies it does. However, there were a few gems I wanted to share.

"It seems like whenever we decide there is an epidemic people run around helter-skelter trying to solve the problem without really thinking about it in an organized fashion," says Dr. Leora Pinhas, a child psychiatrist and psychiatric director of the eating disorders program at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children.

Which is so so true. Especially in this case.

"We have had kids who have been weighed in the gym and then had to deal with how they felt about their weight, and these may have been kids who never weighed themselves before and it hadn't been a concern before," Pinhas says. Children are being taught in nutrition classes how to cut all fat from their diet.

But, "who buys food, who makes the meals? It's not the eight-year-old," Pinhas says.

"All we seem to do is keep placing more unreasonable expectations on children that can be confusing for them."

Children are hearing that fat is bad. Period. And where anorexia and bulimia before adolescence was once unheard of, hospitals are now seeing eating disorders in children as young as seven.

Children are social sponges, Pinhas says. " How many times does a kid have to overhear a conversation like, 'wow you look great, you lost weight,' or 'look at my butt, it's really fat,' 'I should cut down on what I'm eating,' or 'all that fat is going to give you a heart attack'."

Though not necessarily uplifting, it's still worth a read.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should post this article Carrie.

Dr Pinhas was my psychiatrist for three years -- and wow is she ever good. Very tough on ED's.

The article is very true.

Carrie Arnold said...

I had a feeling you might know her. I've been lucky to have a good psychiatrist, too.

Rachel said...

The American Psychological Association has also recognized that the scourge on obesity, especially childhood obesity, encourages the development of disordered eating and eating disorders.

I wonder of there will ever be a time when we look back on the anti-obesity hysteria of today with the same perspective we reserve for other such "advances" in science like eugenics.

Carrie Arnold said...

Rachel-

I sure hope so.

Even if we don't, I hope we *learn* something valuable about stigmatizing so many people based on genetics.

Mary said...

Wow, I haven't even read the article yet and I am "AMEN!" to all that.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, just out of curiousity. . .

Are you completely weight restored or do you still struggle with symptoms?

Just wondering as I am struggling with this at the moment.

A

Carrie Arnold said...

DG-

Thanks. :)

A-

I am completely weight restored, yes. I've maintained my weight (with a couple pound drop that I'm trying to correct) for almost 8 months. Do I still struggle with wanting to restrict? Yep. Every day. Do I sometimes restrict? Yep. Am I getting better at catching myself before things get out of hand? Yep.

Remember, weight restoration is only the first step. Hang in there. I tell myself this: the only way out is through.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

ED Bites on Facebook!

ED Bites is on Twitter!

Search ED Bites

People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009
People's HealthBlogger Awards 2009 - Best 100 Winner!
Wellsphere

About Me

My photo
I'm a science writer, a jewelry design artist, a bookworm, a complete geek, and mom to a wonderful kitty. I am also recovering from a decade-plus battle with anorexia nervosa. I believe that complete recovery is possible, and that the first step along that path is full nutrition.

Drop me a line!

Have any questions or comments about this blog? Feel free to email me at carrie@edbites.com



nour·ish: (v); to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth; to cherish, foster, keep alive; to strengthen, build up, or promote



Archives

Popular Posts

Followers


Recent Comments